SB Chairman gives evidence to ECCLR Committee
Our chairman Eddie Palmer gives the background to the recent meeting of The Scottish Parliament's Environment, Climate Change and Land Reform (ECCLR) Committee on 10th January 2017...
I was invited to appear before this Committee on behalf of Scottish Badgers, as an interested party to the results of the Scottish Government’s Wildlife Crime Report, covering 2013/14, and 2014/15.
If you are wondering why the interest, most of the NGO’s working in the field of protection of wild animals strongly disagree that Police Scotland either hear about most of wildlife crime, or investigate it! The video of the proceedings amply illustrate these differences!
It is important to understand that the reason such hearings occur is that we have two arms of ‘government’. The report was put together by two bodies, civil servants who serve the government, and are answerable to the Cabinet (Roseanna Cunningham being the Minister in charge), and Police Scotland as one of the executive organisations who do the work.
The ECCLR Committee is composed of MSPs who represent you and me, and make such agencies accountable to them. This accountability is evidence in their scrutiny of what goes on; MSPs react (yes, they do!), to the pressure of their constituents, and this is one of those subjects that fill their e-mail inboxes.
This meeting was rather special – the first time that wildlife NGOs have been able to directly present evidence to the Committee.
The Committee saw a first panel of Police and Crown Office; and a second of myself, RSPB, Bat Conservation Group, and the Scottish Gamekeepers Assn.
I hope you enjoy the 3-hour video!
- 2018-03-17 Survey Cancellations
- 2018-03-04 Bitl Blog: Oot ‘n’ Aboot in South Lanarkshire in February
- 2018-02-27 Dates announced for Scottish Badger Week 2018
- 2018-02-23 Level One Registered Badger Worker Course planned for South Lanarkshire, Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th April 2018
- 2018-02-21 Comments on Scottish Government Wildlife Crime Report 2015-16 and subsequent evidence given to the Scottish Parliament Environment, Climate
- 2018-02-06 BitL Blog: Sett found, record submitted, job done?
- 2018-02-05 Annual Conference 2018
- 2018-01-31 BitL Blog: A week in the life of the South Lan Clan …
- 2018-01-17 BitL Blog: Oot ‘n’ Aboot in South Lanarkshire
- 2018-01-16 2018 volunteer days in South Lanarkshire