Scottish Badgers attends 'The Future is Now' event at The Scottish Parliament
We were delighted to be invited by Scottish Environment Link to attend 'The Future is Now' event at The Scottish Parliament yesterday, Wednesday 22nd February 2017. The event, sponsored by Jeremy Baflour MSP, was one of a series of events taking place at The Scottish Parliament this week to mark Scottish Environment Week 2017.
The focus of this event was to showcase the wonderful and varied youth education work taking place across Scotland at the minute. Various conservation organisations such as RSPB, Froglife, RZSS, WDCS and MCSUK attended to showcase their projects.
We were there to highlight our upcoming youth education work as part of the Lottery-funded Badgers in the Landscape project, based in Lanarkshire. Along with skulls, prints and animal hairs to show MSPS how we go about locating and tracking mammals in the field, we were showcasing our trail camera project including footage of cubs and also our poetry project.
Project Officer Elaine Rainey said:
"Today has been a great opportunity to show MSPs the type of work we are doing in the field to encourage the next generation of nature enthusiasts. With our youth work, we try to focus on providing young people with fun, high quality wildlife experiences that they will grow up to remember fondly. If we can spark up that curiosity at a young age, then it can last a lifetime. We aim for varied approaches including the use of technology and poetry as well as more traditional outdoor learning. In this way, we hope to have something that every child can engage with and learn through."
We were pleased to speak with attending MSPs such as Andy Wightman, Alexander Burnett and Jeremy Balfour.
Scottish Environment Week events continue all week at The Scottish Parliament. For more information visit www.scotlink.org.
- 2017-09-23 LAST CHANCE TO BOOK A 2017 CONFERENCE PLACE BOOK NOW!
- 2017-08-31 Level 1 Training Course South Lanarkshire
- 2017-08-30 Autumn 2017 Volunteer Survey Dates announced for Badgers in the Landscape Project in South Lanarkshire
- 2017-08-24 Annual ReportPublished
- 2017-07-19 Monday Monitoring Sessions Return to South Lanarkshire
- 2017-06-30 Badger Photography
- 2017-05-30 Annual Conference 2017
- 2017-05-24 BADGER WEEK BLOG: Species Protection Coordinator Q&A
- 2017-05-19 Charities unite to celebrate badgers during Scottish Badger Week
- 2017-05-11 Announcing ... Scottish Badger Week 20th-28th May 2017!